Sunday 27 April 2014

10,000 Steps

According to the NHS website, the average person walks between 3,000 and 4,000 steps per day, and 1,000 steps is the equivalent of around 10 minutes of brisk walking. They suggest walking 10,000 steps in a day to improve fitness, health and for some weight loss.

So that's what I'm going to do. Every day, I will aim to walk 10,000 steps to see where it takes me.

My life is pretty sedentary. I write and verify quiz questions for a living, so I spend much of my day hunched over a computer screen. Not good. However, I have recently removed my son from school and he is being home educated, so it seems like a really good time to get out and about more. It'll be great for our health and we can go and visit lots of places, which will be good for his learning and it might even inspire a quiz question or two along the way.

Sunday is the day of rest. Apparently.

I have lots of work to do though. I'm verifying questions for a TV show quiz app, writing a World Cup quiz for the Bobby Moore Fund and setting for the Hot 100, which is a quiz for competitive quizzers around the world. Writing questions is much more time-consuming than you might think.

I also have to do our accounts. I'm rubbish at this sort of thing.

Anyway, I have spent the first couple of hundred steps today just trying to find the pedometer I have bought. It was on the table, but I tidied up. Fatal. I can never find things when I've tidied!

But there we go. My pedometer is now in my pocket.

I wonder how many steps I do in an average day. I think I might look into this today as it doesn't look like I will be going outside before I complete all this work. Gah!

2 comments:

  1. You'll probably get 3 to 4000 .. Then, when you make a special effort you'll get to 7000 but then it will be hard to get to 10000 a day. Once you're there though, you'll do great!!!
    I'm just passing though form our group ;-)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/583423491727918/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for stopping by! I'm honestly not sure I do 3,000 even. I'm part human/part sloth at the moment and that needs to change.

    ReplyDelete